Freudenberg-NOK Sealing Technologies Business Report FY ended Dec. 2014
|(in million EUR)|
|FY ended Dec. 31, 2014||FY ended Dec. 31, 2013||Rate of Change (%)||Factors|
-The Company is honored to supply all of the 10 World Car of the Year finalists, as below, with its seals, components, systems or technologies. (From a press release on April 9, 2015)
- BMW "2 Series Active Tourer"
- Citroen "C4 Cactus"
- Ford "Mustang"
- Hyundai "Genesis"
- Jeep "Renegade"
- Mazda "2"
- Mercedes-Benz "C-Class"
- MINI "5-door"
- Nissan "Qashqai"
- Volkswagen "Passat"
-In March 2015, the Company was given 2014 Gold Supplier Partner Award from Meritor, Inc. The Company was the only sealing supplier recognized among the 50 global suppliers nominated. Especially instrumental in achieving the award was the Company's Northfield, New Hampshire, U.S. plant, as it showed a dedicated effort over the past year to meet a higher than capacity demand for pinion seals to Meritor. (From a press release on April 1, 2015)
Products developed through low-emission initiative
-The Company introduced products developed through its Low Emission Sealing Solution (LESS) initiative at 2014 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit, U.S.. These products are meant to address automotive trends such as improving fuel economy, start-stop capabilities, direct fuel injection, use of lighter materials and more robust components.
- Gas-lubricated mechanical face seal (Levitex) for crankshaft seal: A cushion of air is created between the slide ring and a counter ring, leading to a 90% reduction in friction compared to a conventional crankshaft seal. This cuts CO2 emissions during driving between 0.5g - 1.0g/km. The seal also facilitates longer operation by reducing wear. Launch will be in 2017.
- Energy Saving Seal (ESS): A seal for engine crankshafts and camshafts. The seal combines the sealing interface of a PTFE collar with friction-reducing properties of an elastomer seal to reduce friction by 40% compared to a conventional PTFE lip.
- CASCO cassette-type seal: The CASCO seal generates less friction due to the design of its axial sealing lip. Compared with conventional lip designs, the CASCO seal provides energy savings of up to 70%.
- Integrated multi-pole encoder and radial shaft seal: The elastomer layer on the encoder is magnetized and encoded to provide rotational speed and positional information about the crankshaft. The combination of the two components reduces installation space, weight and manufacturing costs.
- Hydraulic accumulator: Automatic start-stop systems require high volume flow for short periods. A hydraulic accumulator covers peak pressure in the short term. This means transmission itself can be made smaller and lighter.
- Radial shaft seal for EV: The input shaft in an electrically powered vehicle's axle drive can become electrically charged, potentially damaging the transmission. A seal ring with an electrically conductive PTFE-graphite nonwoven material grounds the electrical charge from the shaft to the housing.
(From a press release on January 14, 2014)
Lightweight curve gasket
-To achieve the dimensional stability and lower reaction forces essential for sealing lightweight thermoplastic covers, the curve gasket uses a combination of constant and undulated cross-sections that reduces loading. The undulated sections of the gasket use the same design principle as the corrugated waves used to stabilize metal sheeting. (From a press release on March 17, 2014)
Stamped gaskets made of High temperature alloy (HTA) metal materials
-The Company introduces high temperature alloy (HTA) metal materials, originally used by the aerospace industry, for use in its automotive Stamped Gaskets product division. The HTA made from a high nickel content metal, possess extreme temperature and fatigue cracking resistance, which is well suited for the current trend of engine downsizing and forced induction (turbocharging). Production is taken place in Necedah plant, Wisconsin, U.S.
-The Company has approximately 5,200 employees in the Americas.
-23 manufacturing, research and sales facilities throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, Brazil and Malaysia.