OSRAM Licht AG
-The Company is a focused lighting technology provider, which manufactures light bulbs, LEDs, OLEDs and semiconductor-based technologies.
-For fiscal year 2018, the Company operated by four business as follows:Specialty Lighting (SP) and Opto Semiconductors (OS), Digital Systems (DS), Lighting Solutions (LS).
- Specialty Lighting (SP): The SP Business Unit develops, produces, and sells lamps and systems for various sectors and special applications. In terms of revenue, SP’s largest business is automotive lighting using traditional technologies, as well as LED products and products using innovative OLED and laser technologies.
- Opto Semiconductors (OS): The OS Business Unit develops, produces, and markets components relating to opto-semiconductor technology. The main sources of demand for OS products are the automotive industry, and communications and industrial applications.
- Digital Systems (DS): The Digital Systems Business Unit develops, produces, and markets LED light engines (a combination of an LED module and the related electronic control gear), electronic ballasts for LED modules and traditional lamps, and light management systems.
- Lighting Solutions (LS): The LS Business Unit comprises the Company’s luminaires and solutions business. The Company’s luminaires are primarily used in customer-specific projects in the fields of street lighting and architectural design, as well as professional interior lighting application.
-In November 2018, the Company decided to adopt a new construction form which concentrating on to three divisions:
- Opto Semiconductors (OS): unchanged
- Automotive (AM): Formerly SP business will be renamed to Automotive and operated solely of the automotive business involving traditional lighting technologies plus OSRAM CONTINENTAL
- Digital applications (DI): Formerly DS business will be renamed to Digital(DI) and encompass the following activities in addition to its existing areas of business
- The Specialty Lighting business of the former SP business Unit
- The business involving lighting solutions for buildings(Traxon), previously part of the LS business Unit
- Digital Lumens, previously a self-contained operating segment within LSS
*The LS Business Unit will be dissolved and the business involving lighting solutions for buildings will be transferred to the new DI Business Unit.
-The percentage of the Company’s total revenue from LED based-products and solutions in the fiscal year ended September 30, 2018 was 69%, compared to 66% in the previous year.
-In April 2018, the Company announced that Osram and Continental have successfully concluded their negotiations on the Osram Continental GmbH joint venture. The JV, in which each of the partners has a 50 percent stake, aims to combine Continental’s and Osram’s respective expertise in lighting, light control and electronics.
-On July 8, 2013, the Company was spun off from Siemens and listed on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange and the Munich Stock Exchange. Siemens remains a minority shareholder of the Company.
-Bulbs for gas discharge lamps
-Bulbs for halogen headlight lamps
-Laser modules for the headlights
-Infrared emitters, lasers and sensors used in the following applications:
- Drowsy driver detection system
- Driver monitoring system
- Occupancy detection system
- Gesture recognition system
- Night vision system
- Adaptive cruise control
- Precrash sensing system
- Pedestrian protection system
- Prefield recognition system
|1919||Was established through the merger of the incandescent lamp manufacturing activities of three organizations: AEG, Siemens & Halske AG, and Deutsche Gasgluhlicht AG (Auer Gesellschaft)|
|1993||Acquired Sylvania North America|
|2013||Spun off from Siemens AG and emerged as independent entity. Listed on both Frankfurt and Munich Stock Exchanges.|
|Jan. 2014||Sold ownership stake of Valeo Sylvania, to joint venture partner Valeo, for USD 104 million.|
|Jul. 2016||Announced agreement to sell Lamps business to Chinese consortium|
|Oct. 2016||Completed the purchase of Novità Technologies.|
|Nov. 2016||Acquired 47.5% of the shares in TVILIGHT B.V., Groningen, Netherlands|
|Feb. 2017||Acquired the operating business of Maneri-Agraz Enterprises.|
|May. 2017||Made a strategic investment via its venture capital arm, Fluxunit, in agrilution
GmbH, Munich, Germany.
|Jul. 2017||Acquired LED Engin Inc., San José, U.S.A.|
|Jul. 2017||Acquired a strategic equity investment in LeddarTech Inc., Canada.|
|Sep. 2017||Acquired Digital Lumens.|
Supplemental Information 1
>>>Business Report up until FY ended Sep. 30, 2009
>>>Business Report up from FY ended Sep. 30, 2010 to FY ended Sep. 30, 2012
>>>Business Report FY ended Sep. 30, 2013
>>>Business Report FY ended Sep. 30, 2014
>>>Business Report FY ended Sep. 30, 2015
>>>Business Report FY ended Sep. 30, 2016
>>>Business Report FY ended Sep. 30, 2017
Note: A figure in brackets ( ) indicates a loss