OSRAM Licht AG
-The Company is a focused lighting technology provider, which manufactures light bulbs, LEDs, OLEDs and semiconductor-based technologies.
-Since July 2016, the Company has been organized into four business units as follows: Specialty Lighting (SP) and Opto Semiconductors (OS), Digital Systems (DS), Lighting Solutions (LS).
- Specialty Lighting (SP): The SP Business Unit develops, produces, and sells lamps and systems for various sectors and special applications. In terms of revenue, SP’s largest business is automotive lighting using traditional technologies, as well as LED products and products using innovative OLED and laser technologies.
- Opto Semiconductors (OS): The OS Business Unit develops, produces, and markets components relating to opto-semiconductor technology. The main sources of demand for OS products are the automotive industry, and communications and industrial applications.
- Digital Systems (DS): The Digital Systems Business Unit develops, produces, and markets LED light engines (a combination of an LED module and the related electronic control gear), electronic ballasts for LED modules and traditional lamps, and light management systems.
- Lighting Solutions (LS): The LS Business Unit comprises the Company’s luminaires and solutions business. The Company’s luminaires are primarily used in customer-specific projects in the fields of street lighting and architectural design, as well as professional interior lighting application.
-The percentage of the Company’s total revenue from LED based-products and solutions in the fiscal year ended September 30, 2017 was 66%, compared to 61% in the previous year.
Acquisitions and restructuring
-In July 2017, the Company acquired a strategic equity investment in LeddarTech Inc., a company based in Quebec, Canada which develops software applications for LiDAR technology as the basis for autonomous vehicles and driver assistance systems.
-The Company announced that the sale of Ledvance to a Chinese consortium was successfully completed on March 3, 2017 for approximately EUR 500 million. The Company additionally expects license income of as much as EUR 100 million over the coming years for the use of trademark rights. (From a press release on March 3, 2017)
-In February 2017, the Company acquired the operating business of Maneri-Agraz Enterprises, Houston, U.S., a provider of energy-efficient lighting solutions.
-In October 2016, the Company completed the purchase of Novità Technologies, located in Hendersonville, U.S., a manufacturer of automotive LED lighting modules.
-On July 8, 2013, the Company was spun off from Siemens and listed on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange and the Munich Stock Exchange. Siemens remains a minority shareholder of the Company.
-Bulbs for gas discharge lamps
-Bulbs for halogen headlight lamps
-Laser modules for the headlights
-Infrared emitters, lasers and sensors used in the following applications:
- Drowsy driver detection system
- Driver monitoring system
- Occupancy detection system
- Gesture recognition system
- Night vision system
- Adaptive cruise control
- Precrash sensing system
- Pedestrian protection system
- Prefield recognition system
|1919||Was established through the merger of the incandescent lamp manufacturing activities of three organizations: AEG, Siemens & Halske AG, and Deutsche Gasgluhlicht AG (Auer Gesellschaft)|
|1993||Acquired Sylvania North America|
|2013||Spun off from Siemens AG and emerged as independent entity. Listed on both Frankfurt and Munich Stock Exchanges.|
|Jan. 2014||Sold ownership stake of Valeo Sylvania, to joint venture partner Valeo, for USD 104 million.|
|Jul. 2016||Announced agreement to sell Lamps business to Chinese consortium|
|Oct. 2016||Completed the purchase of Novità Technologies.|
|Nov. 2016||Acquired 47.5% of the shares in TVILIGHT B.V., Groningen, Netherlands|
|Feb. 2017||Acquired the operating business of Maneri-Agraz Enterprises.|
|May 2017||Made a strategic investment via its venture capital arm, Fluxunit, in agrilution
GmbH, Munich, Germany.
|Jul. 2017||Acquired LED Engin Inc., San José, U.S.A.|
|Jul. 2017||Acquired a strategic equity investment in LeddarTech Inc., Canada.|
|Sep. 2017||Acquired Digital Lumens.|
Supplemental Information 1
>>>Business Report up until FY ended Sep. 30, 2009
>>>Business Report up from FY ended Sep. 30, 2010 to FY ended Sep. 30, 2012
>>>Business Report FY ended Sep. 30, 2013
>>>Business Report FY ended Sep. 30, 2014
>>>Business Report FY ended Sep. 30, 2015
>>>Business Report FY ended Sep. 30, 2016
Note: A figure in brackets ( ) indicates a loss