FIAMM Energy Technology S.p.A.(Formerly FIAMM S.p.A.)

Company Profile



Viale Europa 75, Montecchio Maggiore 36075 (VI), Italy

Business Overview

-The Company develops, manufactures and distributes batteries and accumulators for vehicles and industrial markets. The Company specializes in the development of batteries with lead-acid technology.

-In 2014, the Company entered the lithium-ion battery segment.


-On February 13, 2017, Hitachi Chemical (now Showa Denko Materials) completed the purchase of 51% of the Company, which was newly created following the separation of the FIAMM Group from its lead-acid automotive and industrial battery business. With the acquisition, Hitachi Chemical owns 51% of the Company, while the FIAMM Group owns the remaining 49%. The total price of the transaction was approximately EUR 90.3 million.




1942 The Company was established by Giulio Dolcetta to manufacture electrically driven three-wheelers.
1950-60 The Road-Master electro-pneumatic horns were produced.
The 6AP35 battery, "Green Disk", was produced.
1960-70 Ferrari used FIAMM's "Superleggera" (ultra-lightweight) battery on its "Dino" at the Daytona event. The same battery was later used on the Fiat "Abarth" single-seater.
The first sealed stationary battery was introduced.
1970's The Premium battery was produced.
Nova was born - a battery for driving vehicles electrically, in the middle of the energy crisis.
The CTP horn was produced.
The new plant at Almisano di Lonigo was built.(1973)
The new plant - "FIAMM Components and Accessories" - was opened in Montecchio Maggiore.
1980's Set up a commercial company in Germany. (1981)
J.V. with Trico for the development of the horn business in U.S.A.(1987)
Ford chose the Company as sole supplier of horns for all of its cars.(1988)
A new horn plant was established in Brownsville (Texas) (1988)
1990 Acquired Klaxon, the French horn manufacturer.
Launched "Fast", its new, rapidly installed, maintenance free battery.
1992 Acquired Baren, an Austrian battery manufacturer.
1993 Relocated the horn production facilities in America from Brownsville to Cadillac (Michigan).
1994 Entered the car antenna business with the acquisition of Mecaniplast.
1995 The FIAMM Ecoforce sealed, recombining battery was installed on the new Ferrari "F50".
1998 Acquisition of the Czech battery manufacturer Akuma and of two commercial companies in Germany Akkuschmidt and in G.B. Euro Battery Distribution.
A new J.V. with Sogefi Bosinas ltda for the development of the horn business in Brazil.
1999 Acquired Uranio and United Energy.
Acquired IBC - a major distributor of motive power batteries.
2004 Formed joint venture with Minda in India for the production of horns for cars and motorbikes.
2007 The share structure is consolidated to two family groups with Stefano Dolcetta (Managing Director) and Alessandro Dolcetta (Vice-President).
2010 Formed joint venture with MES-DEA S.A. called FZ Sonick S.A. to produce sodium nickel chloride batteries.
2014 Entered into lithium-ion battery business.
Feb. 2017 51% of the Company was purchased by Hitachi Chemical for EUR 90.3 million, following the separation of the Company from the FIAMM Group. The FIAMM Group owns the remaining 49% of the Company.
Jan. 2020 Announced that Hitachi Chemical Co., Ltd. (holding 51% of FIAMM Energy Technology capital share) selected Showa Denko K. K. as a new partner and would express its opinion supporting the tender offer for Hitachi Chemical’s shares by Showa Denko and recommend its shareholders to tender their shares in the tender offer.

Supplemental Information 1

>>>Business Report up until FY ended Dec. 31, 2014

Note: A figure in brackets ( ) indicates a loss